2010 was a busy year. These are just a few of the projects Anne was involved in:
- Organized fundraiser “Pasta for Puppets” for Magic Lantern Puppet Theater and raised the matching funds for the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council Award to stage new play “Children and Other Optical Illusions.”
- MN State Arts Board shadow puppet residency in Mora, Minnesota.
- Taught bilingual Latin American folk-arts workshops for the Hennepin County Library System at schools and libraries around metro area in honor of Día de los Niños. (Crafts included Cuna Molas, metal tooling, and papel picado.)
- Stilting narrator for In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre’s Annual May Day Pageant.
- Debut of original multi-media play “Children and Other Optical Illusions” at Dreamland Arts. Sawyer-Aitch wrote, directed, and created the puppets for the piece. She also produced it.
- Co-curated a visual arts show called “Puppetry of the Twin Cities” at the 801 Gallery in downtown Minneapolis.
- Mask-making classes at Steppingstone Theater and Latin American crafts for six weeks at Augsberg library.
- Hired by Artstart to teach painting at the MN Science Museum’s Camp Wabasha.
- Awarded a New York Mills Artist Retreat to work on illustrations for Nalah and the Pink Tiger.
Dragon Puppet by Anne Sawyer-Aitch for Eco-Arts Festival
- Awarded Arts Activity Grant by the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council to re-stage “Children and other Optical Illusions” at Open Eye Figure Theater with the mentorship of Performer/Director Zaraawar Mistry.
- Arts residency at Mississippi Creative Arts Magnet. Made large dragon for Eco-Arts Festival and helped 90 second-graders make their own dragon masks.
- Performed with Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theater as stilter and puppeteer in the Minnesota Orchestra’s Spooktacular.
- Created shadow puppets for Theatre Unbound’s 10 Virgins.
- On-going installation of giant swallow puppets in Open Book store in Wadena, MN.
- Teaching Saturday Matinee puppet workshops at In the Heart of the Beast.
What’s up in 2011?
- Children and Other Optical Illusions will be re-staged at Open Eye Figure Theater
- Continue to work on Nalah and the Pink Tiger
- Puppetry residency in Mora Minnesota, including building troll puppets for the Vasseloppet Race.
- Directing a pageant in New York Mills of the Kalevala, in collaboration with Artist Annie Rollins and the New York Mills Cultural Center.